Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Celebrity who wasn't

“Oh I hate this .. I hate having to travel so far in a bus “ Archana muttered under her breath . Her mother had called the previous night saying she had sprained her ankle after having fallen down from the kitchen stairs. Even though her mom had assured her that everything was all right , Archana couldn't stop worrying and immediately tried to get home . She couldn't get train tickets and that brought her to this bus on that very rainy night.
She found her seat , (Thank goodness its by the window, can sleep all the way home , 12 long hours ,she thought) . She pulled out a stole , her mp3 player and her water bottle and stowed her backpack up the luggage rack . She was just getting comfortable when she saw her , the well-known and the very famous TV show host Ria .Archana thought to herself , “No its not her ..no way … But it is..What is she doing on a bus on a night like this?!! “. Archana hoped she sat far away from her ‘because she simply didn't like her unreal show and her unreal pretence of being all posh .
As it goes all the time, sometimes the thing you hope against hope doesn't happen eventually ends up happening . And so Ria was going to sit with her for the next 12 odd hours . “Ï am never travelling by Bus again, Archana cursed.’” Bet she is all haughty and arrogant and would start showing her Airs as soon as she sits down. Oh well I'm am no less. If she is a star then I'm not going to oblige by all the fawning and fancying her fans might do. Nope not me! ” . She plugged the ear plugs inside her ears and pretended not to notice and stared outside the window resolutely even though it was pitch dark outside
As Archana had expected Ria didn't as much as smile at her co-traveller, not that Archana gave a chance. Ria sat down and took out her phone twiddling with it. Archana couldn't tell if she was nervous or excited and finally concluded that this gesture was to show off her brand new smart phone. Again Archana pretended not to notice at all and closed her eyes. At least sleep could be better than having to put up with such a show off. From in between the Rock music playing loudly in her ears she could make out that Ria had made a call. Clearly trying to Show she is talking to some hot shot actor/ politician. She heard snippets of the conversation, not that she was trying to listen.. Why would she …
“I am really shocked. I mean it’s a bus!!" Archana heard Ria exclaiming. 'Ahaan! complaining to her hot shot guy that people like her should not be travelling by buses'. “Acting like you’re somebody else getting me frustrated …the song lyrics flooded Archanas ears”. How very apt lyrics and Archana wondered how that happened quite often ; her music player always seemed to know her surroundings and mood.
“Yup trust me .. Red stole” Archana caught her saying ‘. More guitar music flooded in .”Oh that’s disgusting ”said Ria. “.Oh so shes talking about me is it ”thought Archana angrily .This made Archana even more irritated. Their bus was now meandering through dark roads with dense trees on either side. Archana didn't know when she drifted off to sleep or how much time had passed. She was woken up by a sudden screeching sound and an abrupt halt of the bus. She woke up with a start and looked around and found Ria looking at her. Much to her indignation Ria turned her head suddenly away from her. Archana could nt help but notice that Ria actually looked very pretty. It was then that the conductor announced that there was a puncture and they needed the people to alight.
“What?!! Get down on the road? In the middle of the night?” exclaimed Archana .”It’s only for a few minutes ma’am. We will not be able to remove the tire easily otherwise” the bus conductor said apologetically.

Can’t all the Men get down? And we will move to the other side of the bus? How do you expect all these children to stand in the cold rain?! Chipped in Ria . Archana was thinking that she was about to say “How do u expect a super star me to get out” and did not expect her to say something as thoughtful as kids inside the bus.
“Please calm down ma’am. We will see what we can do. Please be seated” told the conductor and disappeared into the rain. They both sat down and then Ria spoke to her. “This is exactly why I don’t like bus journeys”
Before Archana could stop herself she blurted out “How come you didn't take a flight if it were that bad”, quite harshly and immediately regretted her tone afterwards
“I …er ... My producer wouldn't give me a day off to meet my best friend in the hospital .All the travel agents that usually book our tickets for the show are in league with him . I didn't want him to know and sort of ran for it.” She grinned sheepishly. “I am a TV show host by the way, she added lamely”
Archana again pretended she didn’t know. Such a show off TV show host by the way!... See how she’s rubbing it in.. Who didn't know Ria..At least which person her age didn't? “Oh really? That’s wonderful!” Lied Archana stifling her thoughts … “but what happened to your friend?”
“She’s got cancer. Nothing to worry though “ she added hastily looking at Archanas sorry face. Ria offered her biscuits from her priceless designer hand bag and said “Dinner? I am not allowed to eat anything hi-cal . So it’s just sugar free grain biscuits for me” Ria said nibbling her biscuit .. She seemed very fidgety and excited. Maybe it’s the thrill of sneaking out thought Archana .

“Can I ask you something?” Asked Ria doubtfully. Surely must be something like how do you non stars life such a boring life? “How do you handle being a celebrity “said Ria . What?! Exclaimed Archana .. “I am actually so excited to meet you ..” Ria continued very fast as though she was dying to say all this .
“ I wasn’t sure it was you , I mean why would a star like you travel by bus on a night like this . A noted and famous Author like you would not travel so ordinarily would you? I am such a huge fan of yours !! I Loooved your book “Its life””. Can I have an autograph? I mean can I have 2? My friend in the hospital, She’s a fan too.. I’m sorry if I’m talking too fast , it’s just that I’m so excited !!!!! “Finished Ria almost at the edge of her seat now
A shell shocked Archanas open mouth twisted into a smile and replied. “Those are pretty much the things I thought about you too. Thanks about the book. I nicked the title from my fiancés firm. It’s the companies tagline you see “and she winked at Ria .
Ria continued rambling. “To be honest, I never thought you’d talk to me, you know .. I thought you’d be all arrogant and Celebrity like. And I was sure you were when you put on music. Even I could hear the songs and then I noticed you were sleeping and thought you didn't like being disturbed .I immediately called up my friend and told her about you. She wouldn't believe me. I even described your attire to her and promised her an autograph. When the bus broke down I was wondering if I should wake you but then you woke up and I turned away nervous.. I'm glad I could help you with that bus conductor though”
Archana smiled and couldn't help but ask “but …u said something like disgusting. I am sorry I wasn't fully asleep and I can act a bit too you know :D. I thought you were gossiping about me” Oh that…reminisced Ria “My friend was talking about the insipid liquid food from the hospital and I just replied…”

She pulled out a tiny book from her bag and handed it to Archana .” Here... Help me keep my promise” she smiled. Archana smiled back and signed the book for her .If you don’t mind can I have yours too asked Archana. Ria was quite pleased and did the honours.’ I really would like you on my show sometime’ .. It was Archanas turn to be pleased...

“Ladies and gentlemen! It would take some more time for us to fix this .Please be patient with us announced the driver” . Archana took out her phone to inform her mom that alas she was gonna be late!

Outside, dripping in the rain and with hands covered in grease the bus conductor exclaimed to the driver. “Did you see the second row to the left?! Both of them together?! I mean what are they doing in a bus on a night like this?!! I wonder if I should have asked for an autograph. You think they would give it ?” The driver replied.. “’Na ...they think they are big stars ...must be the usual arrogant types. Let’s pretend we don’t know them”. The conductor a bit reluctantly agreed and the rain pattered on




















No comments:

Post a Comment